Homework - Green Gates Academy
At Green Gates we believe that the role of homework should be to provide children with a framework for continuing their learning beyond the classroom and to support each learner’s progress towards achieving his or her full potential, at their own level.
We aim to:
- personalise the homework provision in order that all children, regardless of ability or other barriers to learning, are able to access an inclusive framework;
- engage other family members in order to inform them of their child’s learning and progress;
- promote children’s independence and ability to manage and organise their own time and resources with the support of both school and family;
- encourage children to develop a sense of ownership and responsibility for learning.
- provide weekly homework activities which aim to develop and challenge children’s numeracy and literacy skills.
Whilst we support all of the above key principles, Green Gates is not a school at which homework dominates home and school life. We believe that homework should be enjoyable and manageable for all concerned and that if it becomes a chore/burden/source of conflict it ceases to be a constructive aspect of teaching and learning. We do not specify amounts of time that must be spent on a task, preferring individual children and families to set their own routines. Individual teachers are happy to give advice. We hope the children are motivated by positive incentives and by the tasks themselves; children are not punished if they fail to complete the work.
For further information regarding our homework, please refer to our Homework Guidelines 2021.