Local Offer at Green Gates Academy
Support for your child at Green Gates Academy
Our job is to help your child achieve the very best they can at school. You know your child best and you may feel that they need some additional help or support for some or all of their time at school.
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust Local Offer
Green Gates Academy
How we know if children need extra help and what parents/carers should do if they think their child may have special educational needs
- We provides education for children between 5 and 11 who have an educational healthcare plan of special educational needs, namely for Social and Emotional difficulties.
- Children may have a range of conditions including Autism, ADHD, ADD, epilepsy, learning difficulties, emotional and social difficulties, attachment difficulties, sensory processing difficulties or mental health problems.
- Staff constantly monitor children’s progress to ensure they are progressing and also to make sure the provision offered meets their individual needs.
- Parents and carers are always consulted and made aware of how they can help their child.
- We welcome engagement, input and support from parents and carers.
- All students have a ‘Home-School book’ that outlines what progress has been made during the day.
- If you feel your child’s special educational needs have changed or are not being met then please get in touch with either your child’s class teacher or the Principal, Mel Lyons.
How our school staff support children
- All of our staff are highly skilled; they oversee the individual education plan of your child.
- All staff will be aware of your child’s needs and will ensure that you are kept fully involved if there are any changes to that plan.
How the curriculum will be matched to your child’s needs
- We strive to provide a creative curriculum that inspires a passion for learning.
- We have high expectations for all children.
- We are committed to meeting the needs of each child ensuring that he or she reaches their full potential.
- We provide a stimulating and exciting learning environment.
- We ensure all children have access to highly skilled staff who have extensive knowledge and experience of children with complex needs.
- We strive to develop confident and inquisitive learners.
- We fostering a love of learning.
- We encourage personal responsibility and independence.
- We us the outdoor environment to complement our curriculum.
- We deliver the National Curriculum through a topic based approach.
- We regularly observe, assess and monitor individual needs, progress and developments; this in turn informs our planning and curriculum provision.
How we tell you how well your child is doing and what support we have put in place to help your child
- We encourage parents and carers to have regular contact with school.
- In addition to the regular reports parents and carers receive, each child will have their statement reviewed annually, parents and carers are encouraged to attend the review.
- There are regular opportunities and events to talk to your child’s teacher about their progress.
- You will receive regular progress reports.
- All children will have a home school book.
- We have parents and carers meetings at the beginning of the academic year where you will be told of the curriculum pathway that your child will follow and the support they will receive to follow their curriculum pathway.
- If you have any concerns about your child, staff want to hear from you.Whatever the problem large or small please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Support we will provide to ensure your child’s overall wellbeing
- We offer a breakfast on arrival at school as part of our ‘Healthy Start’ programme.
- We have a highly efficient and caring pastoral system.
- Individual support for children’s social/emotional needs is offered and if required we have strong links with outside agencies to provide additional support.
- We have access to an Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist as well as an Occupational Therapist, Play Therapist and a school nurse.
Specific services and expertise available and accessed at your child’s school
- We have highly skilled specialist teaching staff.
- Where it is appropriate children have access to educational psychologists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and specialist resources.
- Other services that may be involved i.e. Social Care.
How our staff are trained to support children with their special educational needs
- All staff follow a comprehensive Professional Learning programme which is tailored to the special educational needs of the children.
- We have staff who have expertise in a range ofconditions such as dyslexia, sensory processing disorder, attachment difficulties etc.
- All staff are trained in supporting behavioural issues through the Team Teach approach.
- All children have a risk assessment and a behaviour support plan,
- We work alongside external specialist agencies.
How we include all children in activities outside of the classroom and on school trips
- All children will have the opportunity to take part in activities, whatever they are, outside of the classroom.
- We have an inclusive approach for all children regardless of their disability or special educational needs.
- All activities and school trips are designed to enhance a child’s life skills.
- We run a range of after school clubs and holiday clubs outside the school day.
How accessible our school environment is
- We have a mobility lift and accessible disabled toilet but we currently have one classroom that can only be accessed via a short flight of steps.
- We are looking at ways to improve the accessibility of our current building.
How school will prepare and support your child to join the school, move to a new school and move onto their next stage of education or life
- We have comprehensive transitions packages in place at all key stages.
- We have teachers who as part of their remit have responsibility for transition.
- We make every effort to ensure that a child’s transition from their previous primary school is a success.
- We have key members of staff whose job it is to work alongside families to support their child’s transition.
- We have a Transition Coordinator who works alongside school staff in both our setting as well as mainstream primary and secondary schools to ensure that if a child is able to return to mainstream school they are given the appropriate level of support to do so.
- The Transition Coordinator ensures that the move from Primary to Secondary education is a success by careful liaison with all relevant parties.
- Children are offered the chance to visit their prospective school and a phased transition is put in place.
How we allocate resources to meet your child’s special educational needs
- Each child has allocated to them a budget that will meet their specific educational needs which will be outlined in their statement.
- If we feel that a child’s needs have changed then we will talk to you about this.
- We may need to ask for additional support for your child, you will be involved in all decisions about support.
How we include and involve you in your child’s education
- We hold structured conversations each term, meaning 3 yearly, between parents and teachers which give you the opportunity to see the work that your child has been doing towards his or her educational, social, emotional and behavioural targets.
- Reports are sent out each term alongside these meetings, even if you cannot attend it means you have an update on your child’s progress.
- We hold annual reviews which consider how your child’s needs have changed over the last academic year.
- At Green Gates Primary Academy we run an open door policy which means you can ask to see a teacher or member of staff with any questions or concerns you may have.
SEN Information Report
Plese see the Trust's SEN Information Report which will provide you with more information on how as a Trust we support children and young people with special educational needs.
Who you need to contact if you need further information
Tel: 01642 570104
The LA Local Offer can be by clicking on the following link: