Support for Children’s Emotional Health and Wellbeing
It is widely recognised that a child’s emotional health and wellbeing influences their cognitive development and learning as well as their physical and social health and their mental wellbeing in adulthood. Our hope is that this action plan will support school and college governing bodies, school nurses, local public health teams, academy chains and others whose role it is to promote the health and wellbeing of children and learners.
The Department for Education (DfE) recognises that: “in order to help their pupils succeed; schools have a role to play in supporting them to be resilient and mentally healthy”. There is good evidence to support this assertion and Ofsted has highlighted that children and young people themselves say that they want to learn more about how to keep themselves emotionally healthy. More over schools have a duty to promote the wellbeing of students.
At Green Gates Academy we offer a range of opportunities to support a child’s emotional health and well-being.
This is promoted in the following framework:
- Each tutor group have a Mental Health and Well Being session at the end of every day
- Staff offer support and direction to pupils daily
- We have a play therapist that works on site with targeted children
- Regulation activities are provided throughout the day.
- A range of resources to help children with their regulation and feelings
- Calming area – The Green Room to allow pupils to calm and regulate their feelings.
- Referrals into Camhs/Camhs Crisis team where appropriate
- A range of staff training to support staff to provide the required support for our individual children.
- Mental Health first aiders on site
- PSHE programme to promote a range of opportunities, awareness and education regarding mental health and well being.